Mental health is an importance that a lot of us push to one side, especially while living a chaotic day-to-day life here South Korea. Despite being the Land of the Morning Calm, living abroad can be
It is good practice for expats and locals alike to get into the habit of talking to someone. Here is a list of English-speaking mental health professionals that can help.
All professionals mentioned in this article have a confidentiality policy, however this confidentiality can be dependent on client’ safety and the safety of those around them.
Please make sure to read each description to make sure to choose which health professional is right for you. If you need immediate support, please call 119.
You&Me Psychological and Consultation Services aims to provide mental health services for English speaking expats in diverse forms of support. Services include therapy and counselling, advocacy on request, suggesting problem resolutions, coping mechanisms and personal growth guidance. It has seen clients from over forty countries use its services, including their individual therapy, couples therapy, family therapy and group therapy sessions. They also accept health insurances from major branches such as Bupa and Allianz, but its best to check the website for more details. Psychological assessment is available for children and adults,
- Type: Therapy/Psychology
- To schedule an appointment: You&Me: Schedule an Appointmen
- Address: 201, 8-7, Yanghwa-ro 12-gil, Mapo-Gu, Seoul (04043)
International Psychology is a clinical service that caters to all expats in Korea, including international students, or anyone who is seeking further advice about their mental health in the
- Type: Therapy/Psychology
- To schedule an appointment: International Psychology and Counselling Cente: Request an Appointment
- Address: Junyoung Building Suite 301, 24, Gangnam-daero 154-gil, Gangnam-gu (Sinsa-dong), Seoul, South Korea 06035
- Type: Psychology
- To enquire for an appointment: Couchology: Let’s Connect
- Address: Given out upon confirmation of appointment
Possibly a favourite among some foreigners, Adaptable Human Solutions (AHS) is an English-language therapy team that hold licenses from Canada and
- Type: Therapy
- To request an appointment: AHS: Contact
- Address: Bldg 101 Suite 2502 Lotte Castle President 109 Mapo DaeRo Mapo Gu, Seoul, Korea
Piper Barry Counselling | Seoul, South Korea
Piper Barry is an expat living and working in South Korea practicing therapy online. She specialises in providing something known as Client-Centered Therapy, or Person Centered Therapy, which is centered around non-directive talking therapy that can differ depending on a person’s needs. She uses a range of therapeutic methods, but each is used to properly aid the client’s individual needs, goals, strengths, and opportunities for growth. Her sessions are available through Skype, Kakao, Facetime or anything equivalent, so she is available from not only inside Korea, but also across the world. The sessions are also available as individual sessions, or couples sessions.
- Type: Therapy
- To request an appointment: Piper Barry Counselling: Contact Me
- Address: Online via Skype, Kakao or Facetime
Many of us may have visited the Seoul Global Center during our stay here in South Korea, but did you know they offer on-site counselling targeting for foreigners? The Seoul Global Center can provide mental health help during weekends and holidays in Seoul’s most populated areas (Hyehwa-dong, Daerim-dong, Gwanghui-dong, Bomun-dong, Itaewon). This counselling service is provided on a more casual basis and usually consists of asking foreigners basic questions surrounding their lives in Seoul. They can also offer problem-solving techniques with distinct knowledge in protecting the rights of foreigners living in South Korea, such as law, labor, industrial accidents, immigration, employment insurance, national pension and human rights. Also present are a number of lawyers, interpreters and volunteers to make sure foreigners are given the most accurate and helpful advice.
- Type: Casual Counselling
- For more information: Seoul Global Center: On-site Counselling Service
- Address: Various locations, check webpage for more details, or contact the Daily Living Consultation Team on 02-2075-4131
Yonsei University’s International Counselling & Coaching Service is a pastoral care counselling service that offers child play therapy, youth counselings, couple and family counselings, group counselings, business coaching, life-study coaching, and EAP (employee assistance program) to foreigners in English. Based on Christian faith, clients are able to seek counselling and life coaching, as well as addiction intervention, psychological assessment and support groups. This service does incur a “sliding scale” fee, but offers free services to Yonsei University students. Pastoral counsellors also welcome those of all faith, and clients without a religion.
- Type: Counselling
- To make an appointment: Yonsei University International Counselling and & Coaching Service: Contact Us
- Address: United Graduate School of Theology, Yonsei University, Room #210, 50 Yonsei-ro, Seodaemun-Gu, Seoul 120-740, Korea.
The International Family Counselling Center is a service that offers English-speaking mental health support to those in need from youth to adulthood. Alongside their regular counselling sessions for individuals, families and couples, they also run various group therapy sessions. In the past, some of these have included art and therapy workshops for Korean adoptees to help them reflect on their adjustment period in South Korea. As well as this, they have also run season-themed therapy groups, specifically in fall and winter. Along with group therapy sessions, International Family can also provide one-on-one sessions to help develop an individual approach to your desired treatment.
- Type: Counselling/Therapy
- To register for an appointment: International Family Counselling; Counselling Appointments
- Address: 402, Bldg 103, Yongsan Park Tower, 24, Yongsan-dong 5ga, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, Korea
Want to find a new place to eat? A service in English that's been too hard to find? Check out the 10 Directory and come find what you're looking for!